ONE OF THE KEYS TO ADDED SUCCESS in your Smiles For Life efforts is picking a great charity partner. Brainstorm with your team about local children’s charity organizations that could benefit from your donation and would be enthusiastic about assisting you with your Smiles For Life campaign!
Your Smiles For Life charity partner should NOT be just the recipient of your donation, but a committed partner in your fund-raising efforts. This means they should be willing and able to help with publicity, social media activity, events and grass roots efforts to support the campaign for four months.
Posters For Your Charity Partner
In the box of marketing materials you receive in the mail, there are posters in a separate tube for your charity partner’s use. Of course, if your charity partner isn’t local, this may not apply… Or, you may need to send the posters to the charity’s central office. But if they are local, tuck the tube under your arm and hand delvier the posters to your charity partner. Use a Sharpie to fill in the contact information for your practice. Visit with your partner about ways they can help generate excitement for this year’s campaign!
Do they have a Facebook page? Are they on Twitter? Do they have a website and/or blog? Be sure to forward them all of the digital graphics and files that are provided to you during the campaign so that they can share them on their social media accounts.
How about a YouTube channel? Could you create a video together? Or, do they have a mailing list that they use to communicate with their donors and supporters? There are lots of ways that they can help you get the word out!
Approaching A Potential Charity Partner
Start with a call, visit, or letter to your top choice. Outline the details of the Smiles For Life campaign and explain why you chose them. Email a link to the Smiles For Life website and tell them about the Amazon Smile opportunity to help. There are also some great stories associated with the campaign that will help them get excited about helping.
Remember that you want their help—not just a place to contribute money!
Be prepared for their questions. Your partner will want to know the details of the Smiles For Life campaign. Here is an outline:
- The Smiles for Life Foundation is the children’s charity organization of The Crown Council, an organization of leading-edge dentists throughout North America.
- Crown Council dentists participating in the Smiles For Life campaign offer professional teeth whitening services at a considerably reduced price, 100% of the whitening cost is donated to the Smiles for Life foundation to help children facing serious health conditions and educational deficiencies.
- Teeth whitening is the most requested dental procedure in North America. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, consumer demand for professional whitening has increased more than 300% since 1996.
- 50% of the Smiles For Life proceeds will go to local children’s charities of the practice’s choice and the balance goes to the Smiles For Life Foundation to be distributed to worthy and approved children’s charities around the world.
- The Crown Council’s Smiles for Life Foundation has raised over $36 million since 1998, benefiting hundreds of children’s charities.
Secure A Committed Partner & Present A Timeline
Get a commitment from the organization of your choice and make sure they are aware of the details surrounding the campaign and your potential donation. Provide the organization with a detailed timeline of your fund raising campaign. Discuss and come up with answers to the following questions:
1. When will you begin the Smiles for Life campaign?
2. What kinds of things will you expect your partner to do—post notices in their offices, agree to media interviews, participate in a one day whitening marathon, etc.?
3. When can the recipient expect to receive their donation?
4. What are your fund raising goals?
5. Will there be any specific events surrounding the campaign, or the presentation of the donation at the conclusion of the campaign?
Frequently Asked Q&As:
To be comfortable answering questions from patients, media and other community members, we have created a list of frequently asked questions that you and your team should be prepared to answer. Also, be sure that your designated charity understands how to answer the following questions as well:
What is the Crown Council?
The Crown Council is an alliance of leading-edge dental teams around the world that are strongly committed to promoting oral health, fighting oral cancer, and serving their communities through charitable work.
What is the Smiles for Life Foundation?
The SFL Foundation is the children’s charity organization of the Crown Council. Each year over a four month period, Crown Council dentists participating in the Smiles For Life campaign offer tooth whitening at less than their normal fee and donate the cost to children’s charities around the world.
When is the Smiles for Life campaign?
March 1 through June 30.
How do I get involved?
Contact the office of your Crown Council dentist and ask if they are participating in the Smiles for Life Campaign. If they are, schedule an appointment to have your teeth professionally whitened.
What if my dentist is not participating?
If your dentist is not participating or is not a member of the Crown Council, you can call 1-800-276-9658 or visit the Smiles For Life website to locate the nearest participating Crown Council dentist.
Why should I get involved?
You will have your teeth professionally whitened at a reduced price and all of the money you pay is donated to children’s charities.
How much will my donation be?
Your donation will be the discounted amount charged by your dentist. This amount is considerably less than the regular cost of the tooth whitening procedure. Remember, 100% of your donation goes directly to the Smiles for Life Foundation.
Why is my donation less than the regular cost?
Your donation is less than the normal cost because everything is donated. Your dentist and office team donate their services and time and Ultradent donates their whitening product.
How do I know that all of my money is being donated?
When you pay for your whitening, you write a check to the Smiles For Life Foundation, not to the dentist.
What is tooth whitening?
Tooth whitening is a bleaching process that lightens discolorations of the enamel and dentin. Patients who have healthy, unrestored teeth are ideal for the tooth whitening process.
If You Have Questions About Choosing A Charity Partner…
Email Greg Anderson at the Crown Council if you have questions about choosing a partner. Or, call (801) 293-8522. And thanks for your participation in the Smiles For Life campaign!