Table of Contents
- 4 Easy Steps To Dental Social Media Posts That Evoke Empathy And Emotion
- Figure Out Your Own Comfort Levels In Your Dental Social Media Marketing Strategy
- Understanding Affective And Cognitive Empathy
- A Great Example Of Dental Social Media Posts That Use Empathy
- Get Started With Dental Social Media Posts That Evoke Empathy
- Need Help Creating Dental Social Media Posts That Evoke Emotion?
4 Easy Steps To Dental Social Media Posts That Evoke Empathy And Emotion
INFORMATION ALONE RARELY MOTIVATES anybody to do much of anything. That’s because there’s no emotion or passion tied to it. It’s not human. In your dental social media marketing efforts, are you connecting with your patients and prospective patients on an emotional, personal level?
Don’t misunderstand me… When I talk about a “personal level,” I’m not suggesting you should inform the entire world that you had a Reuben sandwich for lunch and experienced heartburn as a result. What I am implying is that people prefer doing business with dental practices they know and like on a personal basis. And being warm, honest, modest and trustworthy in your dental social media posts is a great way to build those relationships.
Figure Out Your Own Comfort Levels In Your Dental Social Media Marketing Strategy
I’m also not suggesting that everyone should have the same comfort level when it comes emotional dental social media post content. That’s up to you. You need to give it some thought. However, I am suggesting that you push yourself out of your comfort zone. When executed thoughtfully, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Understanding Affective And Cognitive Empathy
It’s critical to understand empathy when harnessing the combined influence of emotions and social media.
Empathy is a gift that humans have been endowed with, yet each of us brings it to life in different ways. Empathy is divided into two categories: one for individuals and one for organizations.
Affective empathy is the capacity to feel what others are feeling and to be affected emotionally by another person’s emotional state. Cognitive empathy is the ability to comprehend another person’s perspective or mentality.
In order to elicit the most powerful emotions in your dental office social media ideas, you need to go straight at affective empathy. Why affective empathy? Dental social media posts that are affective empathetically, are infectious online.
Okay I just used the word infectious in a weird way. Isn’t it interesting that we talk about ideas and emotions on the internet using words like “viral” and “infectious”? Perhaps that’s why we’re becoming so hardhearted towards individuals and views with which we disagree; they sound like diseases.
When someone laughs, we feel a sudden desire to laugh as well. Your response it to want to communicate your enthusiasm. The laughing police officer is an excellent illustration of a contagiousness emotion. Similarly, if you witness someone in pain, you are immediately sympathetic. You feel the agony. Charities like Smiles For Life, Oxfam and Barnados are recognized for their graphic and distressing advertising efforts to drive home the gravity of the problem.
The most intriguing aspect is that Barnados has changed its approach, with a new commercial that focuses on the advantages – which reflects strategies about social media marketing that uses feeling!
According to the Buddha, “Life is suffering”. Happiness helps to lift us up and out of the misery of sadness brought on by suffering.
We are made to strive, to improve things, to create new things, and to utilize our imaginations in order to tell stories. All of these tendencies exist in order for us to get away from the suffering that we encounter on a daily basis. That suffering is less than ever before in modern society, but it is still there.
A Great Example Of Dental Social Media Posts That Use Empathy
Would you be comfortable sharing a visit you had to the hospital ER? Our client and friend, Dr. Michael Knight was comfortable sharing (you rock, Dr. Knight) and it resulted in an outpouring of love and support from his patient base, as shown below:
Get Started With Dental Social Media Posts That Evoke Empathy
If you’re not one of our clients, here are four simple steps to sharing more emotional, personal content with your patient base and prospective new patients. You’ll want to begin the process as a blog. This allows you to tell a story, which is key in creating empathetic content.
- If you don’t have one, you can start a blog in minutes. My recommendation is to use WordPress.com. Or you can take advantage of our $4,000 Dental Website Credit. This is available to all new My Social Practice clients. We’ll build a brand new website on the WordPress platform. When your new site is delivered you’ll have a bong on there as well.
- Be sure you have a “Subscribe” call to action on your blog to build readership within your patient base. Personal, emotional content is of little value if you don’t have a systematic way to distribute it. I recommend MailChimp.
- Meet with your team once a month with the specific goal of identifying two or three personal, emotional topics for blog posts such as “Getting To Better Know Our Awesome Dental Assistant, Cheri Settelmeyer” or “How I Saved One Patient’s Life”.
- Be sure to use post the article to your social media accounts once it’s ready. Posting an empathetic blog article to your social media accounts will generate more engagement and point patients and prospective patients back to your blog content.
If you’re already one of our clients, and if you haven’t already done this, start by utilizing our Blog Templates located in your social media publisher account. Blog templates are quick and easily created. An example of one of these blog templates is “What Dr. (your name here) Loves Most About Being A Dentist”. If you’ve already utilized that particular post template, choose other templates and create more personal posts. In fact, our recommendation is that you do a personal post at least once or twice a month. We make it quick for you with our templates… And, we do all the formatting, image research, and posting for you.
Need Help Creating Dental Social Media Posts That Evoke Emotion?
Remember that these principles are about developing long-term connections with patients, result in practice success and personal fulfillment over time! If you have any questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our staff. We have a team of amazing social media consultants that are ready and waiting to help your practice grow through dental social media posts that evoke empathy.
This post is part of a the series 26 Dental Social Media Post Truths.
Related Dental Social Media Post Articles:
- Valuable Dental Social Media Ideas Are Anchored By Blogs
- How Can I Make My Practice More Profitable?
- How To Build A Great Reputation For Your Dental Practice
- How To Get Likes On Your Facebook Page
- 1 Powerful Secret To Social Media Posts For Dental Offices
About the Author: Adrian Lefler is a dental marketing expert and a key member of the dental social media team at My Social Practice. My Social Practice is located in Salt Lake City, Utah. Adrian is passionate about helping dental practices grow through dental social media posts. Interested in learning more about the benefits of social media for dentists please schedule a complimentary consultation. And, don’t forget to read our Google My Business reviews.