WHEN IT COMES TO GOOD ONLINE ETIQUETTE and social media for dentists there’s good news… It’s not as complicated as you might think. If you’re using social media marketing as a component of your practice marketing strategy, follow a few simple guidelines.
If you’re already one of our valued clients, you’ve probably already started to experience the effectiveness of our Social Signs rollout in increasing engagement on your social media platform. We’re very excited about the success of these campaigns. Just be sure that you are asking permission from your patients as you use these images to market your practice. We’ve previously written an important blog post that walks you through the thinking behind HIPAA compliance as it relates to social media marketing. Be sure to take some time to review it, and then download the two templates we provide there (and below) to implement in your efforts.
In light of the recent updates to HIPAA, it’s probably an important time to evaluate what you are doing in your practice and tighten things up with your team. You’re also supposed to review your technology security, update business associates agreements and establish a plan if data breached. There are resources for helping you get started.
As a reminder:
1. Don’t forget that the same rules that apply to privacy before you started using social media absolutely apply to everything you do in your office.
2. Take comfort in knowing that the social media platform we help you set up is NOT tied directly to your practice management software or to the information contained therein.
3. Never practice dentistry online through social media. But you knew that, right?
4. Use a consent form whenever appropriate. It’s not only courteous, it’s smart.
5. When in doubt, generalize the information you offer.
6. Set up rules and guidelines for your team. You likely already have a confidentiality policy that your team adheres to. A social media policy can simply be an add-on to that policy.
Sample Forms For Your Use:
(My Social Practice is a social media marketing company. We are NOT attorneys. We don’t even play attorneys on TV… And as such, we do not represent this as legal advice. The templates below are only offered as suggestions. Additional compliance rules vary greatly from state to state, country to country. If you feel like you need consultation beyond the opinions we’ve provided, be sure to consult your own attorney.)
Ready To Begin Finding New patients with Social Media Dental Marketing?
About the Author: Jack Hadley is a dental marketing expert and one of the founding members of My Social Practice. My Social Practice is a digital dental marketing company located in Salt Lake City, Utah. Jack is passionate about helping dental practices grow. If you’d like to book Jack or one of the other members of My Social Practice’s speaking team, you can do that HERE. Interested in learning more about the benefits of SEO for dentists, our dental websites service? Learn More Here.