IN THE OLDEN DAYS (two years ago… haha) there were two prevailing dental Facebook promotions strategies: 1) offer “exclusive deals” to people who would Like your Facebook page, and 2) create enter-to-win giveaways where expensive prizes were awarded in exchange for half-hearted Likes. Typically, these deals and enter-to-win promotions were launched using third-party apps on “gated” Facebook pages that required a person to Like the page before he or she could enter.
Those kinds of dental Facebook promotions kinda, sometimes, sorta worked… Or at least we thought they did. In some cases they seemed to at least increase page Likes. The problem was that those people who were forced to Like a page to enter a contest weren’t there because they cared about the business—and once the iPad (or whatever expensive prize) was given away, these people never interacted with the business again. Another problem was that geographically dependent businesses (like dental practices) were getting too many Likes that were outside their geographic area of influence.
That Shiny Penny Had Very Little Strategy Behind It
Table of Contents
- That Shiny Penny Had Very Little Strategy Behind It
- Now, Dental Facebook Promotions Are Driven By Sound Strategy
- Different Types Of Dental Facebook Promotions Have Different Objectives
- Isn’t It About Time You Became Our Client?
- Ready To Begin Finding New patients with Social Media Dental Marketing?
Hugh MacLeod @gapingvoid has a knack for pulling back the curtain:
So often back then our clients were disappointed by the lackluster success of these kinds of dental Facebook promotions. In addition, launching them was cumbersome, the prizes were costly, the maintenance was time-consuming, and the real effectiveness was all over the map. Most of the newfound page Likes never became advocates for the dental practice. Relationships were never cultivated or strengthened.
Now, Dental Facebook Promotions Are Driven By Sound Strategy
Having worked with hundreds of practices over the last four years and having launched thousands of promotions we’ve learned a LOT about what works better. Today we know that truly harnessing the power of relationship marketing in a dental practice requires that attention be paid to The Five Must-Have Components of social media success:
1) In-Practice Support
3) Great Content
If you’ve attended a dental event in the last year where we’ve spoken, you probably recognize our “Social Practice Mantra”:
It’s no longer SOLELY about getting a boatload of half-hearted Likes on your Facebook page! Running clever, smaller promotions and campaigns—more often and with more consistency—lends itself to SO much more interaction, commenting and sharing. This next level demonstrates that fresh ideas are the key… They’re simpler, far less inexpensive, easy to run, and far more effective:
Different Types Of Dental Facebook Promotions Have Different Objectives
As you may know, Facebook recently changed their rules to make it much easier for you to run promotions on your practice’s Facebook page without cumbersome third-party apps.
You can collect promotion entries by simply having fans Like or comment on your post! Likes can also be used as a voting mechanism, which wasn’t allowed before.
We’ve developed lots of “Quick Promotions” for our clients that help them take advantage of these added capabilities on Facebook.
When it comes to deciding what kinds of social media campaigns and promotions to run in your dental practice, always start with “the why”.
Consider the objectives… Why are you doing what you’re doing?
Here on the left you can see our new 3-part promotions and campaigns strategy that we recently rolled out to all of our client practices. Take a couple of minutes and read through the objectives for each of the three different types of promotions and campaigns. They’re designed to drive “The Five Must-Have Components” of successful dental social media marketing referred to above.
Quick Promotions allow our clients to choose the amount of time they want to spend on the Daily Kickstart ideas we send them each morning. When we feel that a particular idea has great potential as a Quick Promotion, we provide details and support for running that promotion.
Short-Term Campaigns for our clients are always “opt-in” and may be event or calendar specific such as a Halloween Sweet Swap, patient appreciation party, or Smiles For Life Charity Drive. Other Short-Term Campaigns center around the launch of a new social media tools such as Instagram or Pinterest. We are also developing “product-driven” campaigns such as an Invisalign Day w/offer, etc. Depending on the nature of the Short-Term Campaign we provide some or all of the following items: a Facebook cover image, other downloadable PDF files for in-practice printing (or at a local quick print), a custom blog post, emailing to patients, and appropriate training.
Long-Term Campaigns are launched a few times each year for our clients by our creative team. We encourage clients to use them on an ongoing basis. Although there are exceptions, they’re typically not tied to a date or specific event. They’re “campaigns-in-a-box” that are shipped to ALL of our client practices. Social Signs (take a look) and our Facebook Prize Bag are examples of our Long-Term Campaigns.
Isn’t It About Time You Became Our Client?
My Social Practice provides affordable, highly creative ideas, content, strategy and support to ensure your practice’s social media marketing success in just 10 minutes a day.
Super Creative Ideas & Content
- Fresh Images, Concepts, and Writing That Makes YOU Shine – Our creative raises you above the noise. All we do is designed to make YOU (not us) look great, and to help you build a thriving practice.
- Benefit From The Dental Social Media Thought Leaders – No need for you to distill everything out there. We’re dental marketing specialists and we’ll save you time and hassle. It’s all we do… It shows in the quality and effectiveness of our program.
- Creativity With Sound Objectives & Purpose – Everything we create leads directly to actionable tactics and strategies that help grow your practice.
- Speed & Ease – You can be effective in 10 minutes a day (and even more effective if you carve out 30 additional minutes a week) when you know what to do and how to do it. We make it easy. We show you how.
- The Importance Of Owning Your Voice – We do the heavy lifting, but YOUR contributions are what makes the difference. Our program makes it easy for you to contribute.
Remarkable, Personal Support
- The Consistency You Need For Success – We keep your efforts consistent regardless of your level of participation.
- Helping You Be Accountable – Effectiveness comes through combined efforts of our company and you. You’re never alone in making this work.
Ready To Begin Finding New patients with Social Media Dental Marketing?
About the Author: Jack Hadley is a dental marketing expert and one of the founding members of My Social Practice. My Social Practice is a digital dental marketing company located in Salt Lake City, Utah. Jack is passionate about helping dental practices grow. If you’d like to book Jack or one of the other members of My Social Practice’s speaking team, you can do that HERE. Interested in learning more about the benefits of SEO for dentists, our dental websites service? Learn More Here.